Google Search

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Seeking Something New:WAHM

As Mother's Day approaches I am faced with a dilemma. While I would not change my role of "mom" for the world, I feel an almost desperate need to seek a new challenge. The mom in me accepts the new challenges that everyday throws at me: discoveries by my children, new bodily fluids to clean up keeping life interesting and active while keeping little people in check. But the academic and intellectual in me is feeling a bit stifled.

My work at home experience is a bit limited in scope. I have operated a home daycare, offered tutoring both online and in my home, and edited academic papers and business and personal correspondence. All of these opportunities have provided me with some intellectual stimulation and a bit of pocket money but one common factor remains the same: advertising these services to obtain work is painfully slow and difficult.

How does an educated person who wishes to stay at home with their children start a career at home with little or no monetary output? I would like to start a flexible at home business that capitalizes on my talents: academics, teaching, and writing. Anything in the scope of education or science.

Any stay at home moms out there found a way to make this happen? What do former teachers do when they decide to take time out to raise their children?

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You're back.

    I'm no help. I went back to school and have kept myself busy that way. To make the extra dollars I work part time to keep my hubby's business going and do a little writing too.

    Good luck on getting it sorted, and let me know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to go back to work but it won't work. I'm a full time mom now. Actually it's more enjoyable than working 9 hours a day. Hey, in case you have a cool business idea I'd say give it a try you have nothing to lose.

    ReplyDelete