Google Search

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Getting Comfy with Chaos

This afternoon I was multitasking (read:letting it all slide while surfing) when I came across this entry at Diary of a Stay at home Mom. This author has put it so well. As moms we all have days (months...years...) like this. My house often looks like the aftermath of a tropical storm. Miraculously, it is all under control and everything gets done on time. One thing that helps me to organize is lists. Everything that is not part of the regular everyday is put on a list to be completed.

Secondly, be realistic about what you want to accomplish. A barbecue for 50 on the same day that you need to take the posse to the dentist isn't realistically going to happen. I am always amazed when I catch Crash Test Mommy on cable. While it is funny to see the 'wannabe mommy' replacement try to accomplish all of the tasks on the list, they always schedule a ridiculous activity that no mommy is going to do on the same day as everything else. Example: paint three rooms of the house, schedule a birthday party for ten and clear the four week backlog of laundry from the laundry room all in a 48 hour period. I think not.

Third, get comfy with chaos. I admit that I have made peace with my inner neat freak. I like my house to be neat and clean but it does not always look that way. My house is sanitary and somewhat organized but I am a constantly rolling machine most of my waking hours. I always have several things on the go: dinner in the slowcooker or oven, laundry that needs to be folded, and the constant rotation of dirty dishes that need washing. Eventually it all gets done and I seldom go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink. (No, I don't use a dishwasher, but that is a story for another day!)

Lastly, enlist the posse to help. You would be amazed how early in life they can learn to put their toys in the toybox or clothes in their own hamper! My little helpers do an amazing job when asked to clean up. It is an expected routine before meals and sleep time. Start early, be consistent, give a lot of praise for a job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment