Google Search

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fabulous New Chicken Recipe

We love chicken. It is versatile and easy for the little people of the posse to chew. I have done everything under the sun with chicken: barbecue, roast, stew, stir fry, soup, potpie, and even my own home made Shake and Bake (the sodium content in the commercially prepared stuff makes me shudder.)

Today I was looking for a new way to cook chicken and wanted to use the my Crock-Pot. I decided try out a recipe for CrockPot Rotisserie-Style Chicken at A Year of CrockPotting. I love checking out this blog. This gal has gone places with her Crock-Pot I would have been afraid to tread!

I used my 3 quart Crock-Pot with a 3 lb chicken. I left the skin on and did away with some of the extra leg and neck fat. I cut back the salt to one teaspoon and omitted the cayenne pepper. Into the crock it went for 4 hours on high.

I have NEVER, EVER put anything in the Crock-Pot without extra liquid. The thought actually frightened me! I must have checked the crock every 30 minutes like a crazy person to ensure my chicken dinner wasn't crusting away or going up in flames!

When four hours had passed I carefully lifted the lid and pulled out the chicken. It was intact, cooked, and sitting in a pool of drippings. I thickened up the juices and it made a delicious gravy! I added a batch of scalloped potatoes and steamed vegetables to complete the meal.

This is a fabulous alternative to roasting chicken in Toasty! It was very tasty and cooking breast down allowed the breast meat to remain tender and juicy. We will definitely be adding this to the chicken rotation!

No comments:

Post a Comment