Google Search

Friday, October 24, 2008

The New Toy

I treated myself to a new small appliance last week: a three quart oval Crock-Pot. I already own a five quart Smart Pot Crock-Pot but I was looking for something smaller. The three quart is the perfect size for a batch of spaghetti and meatball sauce.

One drawback of the traditional Crock-Pot is the lack of programming capability. I am used to setting the timer on my Smart Pot and leaving it to cook overnight. I am always nervous trying out a new appliance for the first time. I decided to make a batch of spaghetti sauce in the afternoon when I would be home to watch and ensure the new slow cooker didn't burn the house down!

Spaghetti and meatball sauce is absolutely incredible when it has had a chance to slow simmer.

For the meatballs you will need:
  • 1 lb. lean or extra lean ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp Montreal Steak Spice (I use La Grille by Club House)
  • splash of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • fine bread crumbs

Mix together all above with exception of the bread crumbs. When all the ingredients are well combined add just enough bread crumbs to absorb excess moisture (a nice way of saying: add bread crumbs until it no longer feels like a slimy vat of goo) approximately 2-3 tsp.

Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large flat bottomed fry pan over medium heat. Form meatballs approximately one inch in diameter and fry in pan until browned all over. While the meatballs are browning prepare the ingredients for the sauce.

Now here is where I cheat. Just a tad. The way I see it, much work has already gone into prepared spaghetti sauce. Do I need to repeat this work? I think not. Perhaps some day I will try my hand at home made. It would probably be fabulous in the Crock-Pot. Anyone have a recipe they would love to share? Until that day, jarred it is. As long as the sodium content doesn't make me shudder, I'm fine with it.

For the sauce you will need:

  • 1 jar of your favourite prepared spaghetti sauce
  • 3 cups chopped vegetables of your choice: mushrooms, zucchini, onion, celery, broccoli, bell pepper
  • 3 pineapple rings, sliced into wedges

When the meatballs are finished browning, remove to a tray and drain excess fat from the pan. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in the pan and saute the mushrooms until most of the fluid has disappeared from the pan. Add the remaining vegetables and saute until slightly softened. Add the pineapple and meatballs to the pan. Pour in the entire jar of spaghetti sauce and let it come to simmer. When the entire mixture is heated through, pour into your crock. Cook for 3-4 hours on high. Serve over your favourite pasta.

The meatballs will melt in your mouth. The pineapple is a favourite around here. It adds a nice sweetness and cuts some of the acidity of the tomato sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment